Bas-Relief on south facade of Alexander Hall depicting Arts & Sciences Paying Tribute to Learning

John Massey Rhind, American, born Scotland, 1860–1936
J. A. Bolger

Bas-Relief on south facade of Alexander Hall depicting Arts & Sciences Paying Tribute to Learning, ca. 1894

Red sandstone
Princeton University, gift of Mrs. Charles B. Alexander in honor of her husband, Charles B. Alexander 1870, his father, Henry M. Alexander 1840, and his grandfather, Archibald Alexander hon. D.D. 1810
PP657

The bas-relief on the stone facade of Alexander Hall depicts thirty-six figures, allegories of the arts and sciences paying tribute to learning. Designed by J. A. Bolger and carved by the Scottish-American sculptor John Massey Rhind, the relief complements the Romanesque architecture of the building, designed by architect William Appleton Potter as the University’s first convocation hall.