Edition number in graphite, lower right: 921
Stamped in gold ink below image, right: praise--a. martin
The reclusive abstract painter Agnes Martin first came to prominence in 1958 with square canvases covered in closely spaced parallel lines, delicately drawn with a ruler in graphite or colored pencil. In these works the mass of fine lines appears to float above the neutrally painted surface like a shimmering veil. Martin left New York for New Mexico in 1967, after which the lines in her work were gradually replaced by bands of pale, thinly painted color. Although never prolific as a printmaker, Martin was invited in 1976 to join a group of thirteen Minimalist and Conceptual artists in the production of a small portfolio of prints made with only rubber stamps. The bleeding ink introduces slight variations of tone and shape to the logic of Martin’s subdivided square.
Calvin Brown, "James Kraft, Class of 1957, Collection," Record of the Princeton University Art Museum 66 (2007): p. 75–122.